Looking for an “on-the-go” snack that is tasty and filling? Try these easy energy bites!
Hemp seeds and walnuts are excellent sources of plant-based omega-3s, which may be beneficial in decreasing inflammation and promoting heart health. Walnuts are also a great source of melatonin, which plays an important role in improving your quality of sleep. Enjoy all the benefits of these little bites and simplify snack time!
Nutritional information (per serving*):
Calories: 133; Protein (5g); Total Fat (8g); Saturated Fat (7g); Carbohydrates (14g); Fibre (2g); Sodium (2mg).
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- ¾ cup shelled walnuts
- ½ cup hemp hearts, divided
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup almond butter
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- Place the walnuts and half of the hemp hearts in a food processor and process until fine. Add the maple syrup, almond butter, cranberries, vanilla and oats. Continue to process until all the ingredients are combined.
- Take pieces of the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
- Roll the balls onto the remaining hemp hearts and press lightly until completely covered.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- You can also coat these energy bites in unsweetened shredded coconut or vegan chocolate chips.
- Try toasting the hemp hearts on the stove to elevate their nutty flavour. Place a skillet over medium heat and spread hemp hearts evenly in the pan. Allow hemp hearts to brown for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Try other dried fruits or nuts for variety.