The word “superfood” gets tossed around a lot these days, but when it comes to helping with arthritis, avocados may actually fit the bill. Research on the health benefits of avocados highlights a wealth of helpful antioxidant compounds, including the healthy monounsaturated fatty acids that offer anti-inflammatory benefits similar to olive oil. Emerging research also suggests that avocados may help reduce pain in osteoarthritis in the lower jaw.
Nutritional information (per serving*):
Calories: 271; Total Fat (24g); Saturated Fat (5g); Monounsaturated Fat (12g); Carbohydrates (7g); Fibre (6g); Sodium (154mg).
4 (one half avocado and one egg per serving)
- 2 avocados (large work best)
- 4 eggs
- 1-2 green onions, chopped
- 4 Tbsp feta cheese, shredded (can be purchased pre-shredded)
- Paprika, dried basil, salt and pepper, sprinkled to taste
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh parsley
- Preheat over to 425°F.
- Cut each avocado in half and remove pit.
- Fill each avocado half with an egg. It might be easier to pour each egg into a bowl first, then into the avocado.
- Add green onions, paprika, salt, pepper, and dried basil to taste, then drizzle with the olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how firm you like your egg yolks.
- Sprinkle feta cheese over each egg, then top with parsley and serve immediately.
This recipe can be a very satisfying breakfast that keeps you full until lunchtime. Try it with a slice of whole-grain (and, if necessary, gluten-free) toast and kalamata olives.