To access medical cannabis, you will require a medical authorization document from your doctor.
Note: A doctor may not feel comfortable authorizing or monitoring the use of medical cannabis for patients in general. In this case, it is reasonable for the patient to ask for a referral to a physician or clinic with more expertise in this area. However, medical cannabis is not a suitable treatment option for everyone. If a doctor is comfortable authorizing medical cannabis in general but not in your particular circumstances, it’s important to understand their reasoning and why medical cannabis may be unsafe or inappropriate for you.
Reading the document
A medical cannabis authorization document is NOT a prescription. It will include:
- Your information, including name and date of birth
- Healthcare provider’s information, including name, contact information, and license number
- Daily quantity in grams/day
- Period of use (cannot exceed one year)
- Healthcare provider signature