Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes |*Servings: 4
Capture the flavours of the Mediterranean in this easy, protein-rich sheet pan recipe. Skinless chicken breasts are a lean protein that give us exposure to amino acids, which help maintain or increase our muscle mass. The marinade in this meal contains many anti-inflammatory ingredients, including olive oil and generous amounts of herbs. Vegetables, such as bell peppers and tomatoes, are rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C helps prevent collagen breakdown and can help manage or prevent gout.
Nutritional information (per serving*): Calories: 376; Total Fat (22g); Saturated Fat (4g); Monounsaturated Fat (14g); Carbohydrates (15g); Protein (32 g); Fibre (3g); Sodium (91mg); Omega-3 Fatty Acids (0.2g)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of a whole lemon or ¼ cup
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
Sheet pan chicken and vegetables:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1-inch thick strips
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into ½-inch thick circles
- 1 large orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped into ½-inch thick pieces
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into ½-inch thick wedges
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup of fresh parsley, chopped (for the garnish)
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1/3 cup low fat feta cheese
- Lemon wedges
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cover a large baking sheet with foil.
In a small bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients and whisk until blended.
Place the sliced chicken breasts into a bowl and add ½ of the marinade. Using a fork, toss the chicken to ensure it is well-coated (add more marinade if needed). Marinate the chicken 10 minutes.
While the chicken marinates, place all the vegetables onto the foil-covered baking sheet. Cover the vegetables with the remaining marinade and mix to ensure they are evenly coated.
Place the sliced chicken onto the baking sheet with the vegetables. Nestle the chicken around the vegetables and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven. The vegetables should be soft and the chicken cooked through to 165°F. Garnish with parsley before serving.
For an additional burst of flavour, garnish with Kalamata olives, low fat feta and lemon wedges.
- Serve with whole grain pita, lentils, rice, couscous or baby potatoes for additional fibre and energy.
- Use your favourite vegetables, such as cauliflower or broccoli. The thickness should be similar to ensure even cooking.
- Serve with plain Greek yogurt as a dip for chicken and vegetables. This will provide additional calcium and protein.
- Instead of feta, sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes for additional vitamin B12 and protein.
- Consider adding freshly sliced avocado for additional healthy fat and flavour.
- Store in your fridge for up to 4 days.