Total Time: 5minutes | *Servings: 1
This nutritious smoothie is easy to make and bursting with surprising aromatic flavour. Frozen blueberries can be enjoyed year-round and are rich in anthocyanins – an antioxidant that helps reduce inflammation and oxidative stress. Ginger may help manage symptoms of arthritis by reducing inflammation and pain. Ginger also aids in digestion and may help manage symptoms of nausea. A handful of spinach is an easy way to increase vegetable intake and increase your intake of nitrates, which help lower blood pressure. Pleasing to the palate, this smoothie is guaranteed to satisfy.
Nutritional information (per serving*):
Calories: 264 Total Fat (10g); Saturated Fat (1g); Carbohydrates (34g); Protein (14g); Fibre (8g); Sodium (267mg).
- 1 ½ cups of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or other milk alternative)
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- ½ frozen banana
- 1 handful spinach
- ½ thumb-sized chunk fresh ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Honey for desired sweetness (optional)
Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
Optional: garnish with frozen blueberries.
- If unsweetened vanilla almond milk is unavailable, use a milk alternative that has at least 7 grams of protein per cup or use cow’s milk.
- For additional protein, consider adding 2-3 tbsps of vanilla Greek yogurt or vanilla whey protein powder.
- When buying fresh ginger, freeze it and then grate into your recipes. It grates like powder with no strings!
- Purchase fresh bagged spinach and then freeze it. Frozen leafy spinach is easier to blend and has a smoother texture in smoothies.
- Garnish smoothie with 1 tbsp of hemp seeds for extra crunch and protein.