This salad is full of crunch and flavour and will keep you coming back for more. Eating cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, releases a compound known as sulforaphane. Research suggests that sulforaphane may have anti-inflammatory properties and may also slow down the destruction of joint cartilage associated with osteoarthritis. Walnuts have the highest omega-3 acid content of any nut in the form of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). ALA is an essential fatty acid that lowers your risk of heart disease and decreases inflammation. Walnuts are also a rich source of vitamin E, which helps fight against oxidative damage to tissue.
Nutritional information (per serving*):
Calories: 294; Total Fat (20g); Saturated Fat (2g); Monounsaturated Fat (2g); Carbohydrates (26g); Protein (8g); Fibre (4g); Sodium (178 mg); Omega-3 Fatty Acids (2g).
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
*Servings: 4 - 6
- ½ cup 1% plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup red, seedless grapes, cut in halves
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, vegan mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and salt and pepper until blended and smooth.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and mix well until broccoli florets and grapes are coated.
- Serve as a side dish or as a stand-alone light meal.
- To make this a completely plant-based dish, eliminate the Greek yogurt.
- If grapes are not available, use ½ cup of raisins.
- If vegan mayonnaise is not available, use low fat mayonnaise.
- Broccoli, along with cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and asparagus, are known to cause excess gas. These vegetables contain raffinose, a complex sugar, that can be difficult for some people to digest. Consume these foods in small amounts or talk with your registered dietitian before eliminating these foods from your diet.