Prep Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 10 minutes | *Servings: 6
Tofu ’egg’ salad is super easy to make and tastes just like egg salad! Using medium tofu is an easy, economical and vegan alternative that provides a complete and nutritious protein. Tofu is high in calcium, which is important for bone health. Tofu also contains isoflavones that help prevent certain types of cancer and heart disease. The fresh dill, parsley and lemon provide a burst of flavour and contribute to higher vitamin C levels. Turmeric adds a pop of colour and contains anti-inflammatory properties. A great dish to experiment with if you have never tried tofu.
Nutritional information (per serving*):
Calories: 230; Total Fat (20g); Saturated Fat (2g); Monounsaturated Fat (1g); Carbohydrates (6g); Protein (10g); Fiber (2g); Sodium (155mg).
- 1 block medium tofu, drained and patted dry
- ½ cup vegan (or regular) mayonnaise
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh dill, diced
- ½ cup parsley, diced
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
Crumble the tofu into clumps that resemble chopped eggs.
In a medium bowl, gently mix the tofu with the remaining ingredients.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with whole grain bread, bagels, buns, crackers, whole grain wraps or lettuce wraps for an easy meal or snack.
Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
If the mixture becomes watery, remix with a spoon.
- Add smoked paprika for additional flavour and spice.
- Instead of salt, use black salt to mimic more of an egg flavour.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese for more calcium and protein.
- Add sliced avocado for additional healthy fat and flavour.
- Add cooked, chopped potatoes to make a potato and 'egg' salad.