We are calling for a Canadian Wait Times Task Force to address the growing wait times crisis. Our new report The Wait: Addressing Canada’s Critical Backlog of Hip and Knee Replacement Surgeries offers solutions to address both the pandemic-related backlog and pre-existing challenges. Developed with the input of a working group of experts from across the country, our recommendations include:
- Ensure innovative models of care are replicated and shared widely so more Canadians have access to their benefits.
- Standardize how patient data is collected and reported on across the country, to make it easier to set national standards and benchmarks.
- Leverage digital technology to reduce wait times, maximize limited health resources and improve co-ordination of care.
- Increase access to community-based joint health management programs, so more patients have access to proven programs that effectively manage pain pre-op and better optimize results post-op.
- Ensure savings from surgical efficiencies are re-invested into improving patient care.
Read the full report: The Wait: Addressing Canada's Critical Backlog of Hip and Knee Replacement Surgeries [PDF 376kB].