A little taste of summer that packs a big punch of nutrients!
This open-faced toast uses tofu, a soy-based product that is an excellent source of plant-based protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals. Tomatoes and basil add flavour, vitamins and antioxidants that can be beneficial to your anti-inflammatory lifestyle.
Soy has a long list of health benefits, such as helping to lower your risk of some cancers and cardiovascular diseases, as well as reducing inflammation and insulin resistance. Enjoy the many health benefits of this delicious recipe!
Nutritional information (per serving*):
Calories: 525; Protein (24g); Total Fat (29g); Saturated Fat (3g); Unsaturated Fat (26g); Carbohydrates (42g); Fibre (8g); Sodium (550mg).
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
For the spread:
- ½ package firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
- 2 tbsp hemp or canola oil
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp garlic, minced or paste
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the toast:
- 4 slices whole-grain bread, toasted
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes cut into 8 slices
- ⅓ cup basil, chopped
- Pat tofu dry with a clean paper towel. Put slight pressure on the tofu with a cutting board to drain extra fluid. Cut into cubes.
- Transfer tofu to blender. Add oils, garlic, lemon juice and nutritional yeast, blend until smooth, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread onto whole-grain toast and top with tomato slices and basil. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle salt. Serve immediately.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. This recipe makes about ¾ cup, enough for four additional sandwiches.
- Nutritional yeast gives this spread a mild cheesy flavour.
- You may substitute lemon juice with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or a mix of both to balance out the acidity in the recipe.